Tropical Theme Wedding Cake Ideas
A tropical theme wedding cake will be the perfect addition to your beach wedding theme. Topical wedding cake designs are many and varied all of which can add an exotic or colorful touch to your day.Did you know?
In the Caribbean the wedding cake is usually made from fruit, these cakes are often dark and decorated with dried fruits. These cakes can be flavored with rum, wine and sherry.
In Bermuda, it is traditional to place cedar saplings on top of the wedding cakes which symbolizes a growing love between the newlyweds. The saplings are then replanted after the ceremony.
Tropical Flavor Ideas
Listed below you will find few of the more popular flavor ideas that can be used individually or combined as the cake flavor and frosting flavor.
- Lilikoi (Hawaiian passion fruit)
- Rum or banana-rum
- Macadamia nut
Fresh tropical fruit can be used as a filling or combined with cream which can be placed in each layer.
Next consider the decorations on your wedding cake.
Tropical Wedding Cake Decoration Ideas
Apart from the obvious beach theme or tropical theme wedding cake toppers, there are other ways that you can decorate your cake so that it will fit in with your tropical theme wedding.
- Use blue swirls of gel to create waves rising up the sides of each tier.
- Moulded edible shells and miniature tropical fruit can be made from marzipan.
- Royal icing can be piped onto the cake to look like a net with shells inside.
- Use a bamboo mat to decorate the top of the cake table.
- Use leaves and tie these into bows which can then be used to decorate the cake table.
- Use toasted, grated coconut on white butter cream icing to create a sandy look.
- Have the cake made into the shape of a sand castle and decorate it with edible seashells and star fish.
- Decorate a cake with fresh hibiscus flowers.
- Orchids can cascade from the top of a tiered cake.
- Sugar plumerias flowers could be scattered freely on the cake and around the cake table.
- Fresh or hand crafted flowers can form draping leis around each tier.
- Larger tropical flowers such as bird of paradise could be added to fresh-flower holders in between the tiers. Make sure that the flowers or stems with toxins are not in direct contact with your cake.
Accent your wedding cake with bright and bold colors such as turquoise, hot pink, yellow and orange these will bring along a sense of sunshine and bright happy days that are associated with the tropics as well as tropical flavors.