Ball Of Flowers For Wedding Decorations
A ball of flowers is made up from a foam or polystyrene ball studded with flowers. It can be carried by the bride, her bridesmaids or the flower girl.
It usually sits hanging from a loop of ribbon or other decorative embellishment such as decorative cord or pearl crafting beads from the wrist.
Carnations are one of the better flowers to use as they are round and give a nice neat looking ball. Other flowers can be use and should be of a similar size depending on the look you are trying to achieve.
You can also use a mix of large and small flowers and flowers in different colors.
If you use flowers that are different in shape or color make sure that everything is evenly spaced to give a balanced look.
A flower ball can also be called a kissing ball or pomander and are a very versatile flower arrangement that can be used in many different ways:
- They can be carried as a bouquet
- Hung on the sides of chairs or pews to decorate the ceremony venue.
- They can be used as part of a backdrop, such as hanging from an arch way.
- Hung from the ceiling or chandeliers.
- Use medium sized flower balls to decorate the tables.
- Use them to create large or small topiaries these can be used as centrepieces or placed around the reception room.
- Hang small balls of flowers over door knobs on in doorways.
You can use, dried or silk flowers to make a ball of flowers for wedding decorations these can be made in advance which will give you more time to do other important things closer to your wedding date.
In fact a silk flower balls for weddings are very easy to make and there are several ways that you can do this. You can use polystyrene balls and secure the flowers in place with glue, or you can use a dry florist ball and push the flowers as shown in this video.
I get paid a commission when purchases are made through links on this page.
Silk flower balls for weddings available from FastBuy
When making your own flower ball choose a ball size that is smaller than what you actually want – because it will grow in size when the flowers are added.
Make a Ball Of Flowers Using Fresh Flowers
You will need
- A ball of floristry foam (Oasis) measuring 20 cm (8 inches) in diameter
- 50 Carnations or any full bloomed flower
- Soak the oasis ball in a bucket of water, it is completely soaked when it sinks to the bottom of the bucket.
- Using scissors cut the flower stems at 3cm to 5cm from the base of the flower head.
- Always cut the stems on an angle, to enable maximum water absorption.
- Start at the top of the oasis ball, gently push in the stem of your first flower, making sure it goes all the way into the base of the oasis ball.
- Keep adding and placing the flowers head in a straight line until the ball is ringed with flowers. Then make a line halfway around and fill in the quarters. Make sure the flowers are evenly placed with no gaps.
- Gently place your pomander ball in the middle of your table.
15 Ideas Using Kissing Balls For Weddings
1. Flower balls can be used placed stands to decorate and area of the venue.
2. Create beautiful backdrops with flower balls.
3. Elegant dainty white kissing balls can be turned to a feature item.
4. Use all one flower type.
5. Hang flower balls from the chandeliers.
6. Use pearl craft beads to create a luxurious look for the bride.
7. White kissing ball with a hint of pastel toned flowers.
8. Use a variety of different flowers to create a loose style ball.
9. Mix other embellishments into the ball like feathers and ribbon bows.
10. Create a flower ball in one color.
11. A small flower ball can be carried by the flower girl.
13. Balls of flowers can be used as table decorations.
14. Use lots of greenery for a soft fresh look.
Kissing balls for wedding centerpieces available from Wayfair
Other Pages We Think You Will Love
Make Your Own Garden Style Bridal Bouquet
The Real Cost Behind Wedding Flowers
Ideas for Wedding Cakes With Flowers