Wedding Cake Designs and Styles
With over 200 cake images on this page please be patient as it may be a little slow to load.
There are many wedding cake designs available and you are only limited by your imagination. To create your own wedding cake involves selecting elements that complement your wedding theme while keeping in mind the number of guest you will need to serve.
Before you go and make your own wedding cake or give your wedding cake ideas to your baker spend some time gathering lots of wedding cake decorating ideas.
You don't have to go for a traditional wedding cake design of a white 3 tier round wedding cake with wedding cake topper of a bride and groom.
You can go wild with your ideas for a modern wedding cake by opting for square cakes, heart shaped cakes, hexagonal cakes, or a combination of shapes. Then there are other designs that are based around hobbies, interests and even the bride or groom themselves.
You could also choose to select pastries, or cheesecake or some other favourite sweet dish for your wedding cake, it’s totally up to you.
Traditional style white wedding cake.
Start by looking at pictures of wedding cakes, online is a great place to start or browse through bridal magazines or visit wedding cake bakeries.
Gather unique wedding cake ideas that will inspire your own individual wedding cake. It might be the way the details from a wedding gown have been incorporated into the cake design or how a treasured family cake topper has been displayed.
Make simple sketches of the design you like, these don't have to be perfect, it is just a way for you to see them come together.
Remember, the more detail that you have on your cake will increase the overall cost of the cake, this is due to the amount of labour needed to create the cake. Select the size of your cake by the number of guest you will need to serve.
Include non-edible design items, such as decorative columns or crystal glasses to lift each tier and add height to the cake or use silk or real flowers to decorate the tops and sides of the cake.
Icing is another design element that you should consider the traditional buttercream which is soft and tasty and can easily be textured or you could opt to use rolled fondant icing which will give a smooth satiny finish although a slightly more expensive gives but can be worked to give a totally different look.
Choosing a wedding cake flavor is something that you can experiment with. A chocolate wedding cake recipe with vanilla is a popular choice. Try a strawberry cheesecake wedding cake for a summer wedding. Ask your baker to recommend flavor combinations and taste test these.
One way to save on money at the wedding reception is to go for a dessert style wedding cake and serve this as the dessert. The portions cut from this type of cake is usually larger than traditional wedding cakes, your cake may cost a little more but you will be cutting down on costs by not having a dessert.
20 Design Ideas For Wedding Cakes
1. Two Tier Cake Designs
1. Two tier elegant white wedding cake with lace and roses.
2. White two tiered wedding cake with pansy flowers and ribbon.
3. Two tiered wedding cake with ruffle and pearl details.
4. Sweet two tiered red heart wedding cake with heart embossed fondant icing.
5. A charming two tiered white round wedding cake with flowers.
6. Modern two tiered square wedding cake.
7. Pink and white wedding cake with pink flowers.
8. Regal two tiered petal cake with gold detail.
9. A classy red and white wedding cake the harmonising flowers.
10. Large two tiered square wedding cake with fresh flowers.
2. Amazing Wedding Cakes
11. Wedding cake dress design.
12. Red and gold wedding cake with red sugar roses.
13. A refined white on white wedding cake.
14. Contemporary cake design.
15. Orange petal covered wedding cake design.
16. Sophisticated three tiered wedding cake with beautiful gold bird cake topper.
17. Beautiful white wedding cake with dark red flowers and silver trim.
18. Yellow four tiered wedding cake with painted blue birds and white blossoms.
19. Asian inspired wedding cake.
20. Four tiered round white wedding cake with poppy flowers.
3. Beautiful Cake Ideas
21. Wedding cake with quilted fondant, chocolate panels and red lilies.
22. Purple flower wedding cake with elegant scroll piping.
23. Simple elegance.
24. Beautiful wedding cake with fresh strawberries.
25. Simple and elegant.
26. Unusual wedding cake display idea.
27. White and burgundy wedding cake idea.
28. Half white and half red square wedding cake.
29. Red rose and red ribbon wedding cake.
30. Elegant and rustic style wedding cake idea.
Read more about beautiful wedding cakes
and see 22 more picture ideas.
4. Black And White Cakes
31. Elegant white wedding cake with a single black satin bow and brooch.
32. Multi tiered wedding cake with matching black and white cake pillars.
33. Wedding cake on black and white cake stand.
34. Black and white wedding cake with monogram topper.
35.. Simple three tiered round weddng cake with a black and white theme.
36. Black and white weddign cake with pirate theme decorations.
37. Four tiered white square weddign cake with black ribbon and bow topper.
38. Zebra stripe two tiered wedding cake with red roses.
39. Multi tiered wedding cake with white feathers.
40. Black and white daisy cakes with matching cupcakes.
5. Buttercream Cakes
41. Large three tiered round wedding cake with simple rose and fern decorations.
42. Buttercream frosted cake with fall colored flowers.
43. Wedding cake with piped buttercream flowers.
44. Small wedding cake with piped buttercream decorations.
45. Red and white wedding cake idea.
46. Very simple and elegant white wedding cake with succulent flowers.
47. Rose covered wedding cake.
48. Pink blossom wedding cake with bird cake topper.
49. White and "baby blue" wedding cake.
50. Green leaf four tiered wedding cake.
6. Chocolate Cakes
51. Chocolate covered cake with maltesers.
52. Three tiered chocolate wedding cake.
53. Modern style white and dark chocolate covered cake.
54. Three tiered chocolate wedding cake with cornelli piping.
55. Chocoalte cake with daisy flower decorations.
56. Light and dark wedding cake.
57. Cake with chocolate marbled icing and chocolate curls.
58. Wedding cake surrounded with white chocolate panels.
59. Uniform white chocolate panels decorate a round three tiered wedding cake.
60. Four wedding cakes with the sides covered with white chocolate cigarellos.
7. Elegant Wedding Cakes
61. Four tiered stacked wedding cake with pink daisy flowers.
62. Wedding cake with painted peacock feathers.
63. Iced perfection.
64. White elegance with a hint of gold.
65. Blue beach themed wedding cake.
66. White and gold wedding cake with paisley design.
67. Hexagonal three tiered green and gold wedding cake.
68. Six tiered pink and grey wedding cake with delicate looking piping.
69. Five tiered white wedding cake with a sea shell theme.
70. Round wedding cake with large open blooms.
8. Fall Wedding Cakes
71. Red and orange roses on a white wedding cake.
72. Simple fall wedding theme cake idea.
73. Elegant looking wedding cake with leaf decorations.
74. A beautiful display of handmade fall leaves and flowers.
75. Simple wedding cake idea.
76. Square wedding cake with trees in the fall.
77. Round cake with fall colored leaves.
78. Small single wedding cake with fall colored decorations.
79. Use fall leaves to decorate the cake table.
80. Wedding cake decorated with fall colored flowers and ribbon.
9. Modern Cakes
81. Modern cakes can be based on an interest or hobby.
82. Modern wedding cake designs can be bright and bold.
83. Go crazy with your favorite shape.
84. Modern cakes can be simple in design.
85. Four tiered heart wedding cake design with calla lily flowers.
86. Square wedding cakes with hand painted decorations.
87. Modern cakes can have icing applied in unusual ways.
88. Use non traditional cake toppers for your modern cake.
89. Modern cakes can have a sense of humour.
10. Rose Wedding Cakes
91. White roses and lilies on white wedding cakes.
92. Create layers of roses between the cake tiers.
93. Buttercream frosted wedding cake with pink roses.
94. Match the color of the other decoations on the cake with the flowers.
95. Stylish peach colored wedding cake with open rose flowers.
96. A lush display of dark red roses on a simple white wedding cake.
97. Fairy tale cake idea with red roses.
98. An uncomplicated wedding cake design with red roses as a cake topper.
99. Wedding cake with white roses.
100. Four tiered wedding cake covered completely in roses.
If you love roses why not consider a rose wedding theme
or a romantic theme wedding.
11. Round Cake Ideas
101. A unique wedding cake design idea.
102. A white and green wedding cake with brown ribbon and flowers.
103. Red calla lilies on white round wedding cakes.
104. Round wedding cake with fresh berry decorations.
105. Simple wedding cake with a musical theme.
106. Red orchid flowers on a white wedding cake.
107. Wedding cake decorated with basket weave piping and fresh fruit.
108. Four tiered white wedding cake on silver stand.
109. Blue and white round wedding cakes.
110. White wedding cake featuring edible balls.
12. Simple Cakes
111. White square wedding cakes with dome shaped top tier and gerber daisies.
112. Simple beach theme wedding cake.
113. Fun simple wedding cake design with two cupcakes as the cake topper.
114. Buttercream iced wedding cakes with slices of fresh strawberries as decorations.
115. Round cakes covered with smooth fondant icing and small fresh flower arrangements.
116. Four tiered simple wedding cake with a decorative brooch pined to a burgundy bow.
117. Handmade bride and groom figures top this simple pink and cream wedding cake.
118. Wedding cake decorations can be as simple as using fruit.
119. A stylish white wedding cake with delicate flowers and butterflies.
120. Tall and fresh decorated with purple orchids and buttercream.
13. Square Cakes
121. The design on this beautiful cake was inspired by the pattern on an Indian sari.
122. Pink and gold square wedding cake with matching pink roses.
123. Nautical theme square wedding cake on silver stand.
124. Featuring delicate white flowers and a large bow this four tiered square wedding cake will take pride at any reception.
125. The detail on this square wedding cake resembles the buttoned up back of a wedding dress.
126. Carefully hand piped cornelli embroidery in constating colors on white and pink wedding cakes.
127. Totally modern and chic cubed single wedding cake.
128. Monotoned four tiered square wedding cake with silver balls and bow cake topper.
129. This square wedding cake is neat with its uncomplicated design and artfully positioned floral decorations.
130. Classic white is forever timeless and elegant no matter what the shape of your cake.
More square cakes
can be seen here.
14. Traditional Cakes
131. Three tiered white wedding cake with yellow roses and rose petals. Complete with a unique crystal beaded wedding cake topper.
132. Lovely and statuesque four tiered wedding cake separated with roses and delicate fern motif piping.
133. A appealing three tiered wedding cake with textured icing, pink flowers and ferns.
134. A simple wedding cake with ruffled piping and sunflowers.
135. Simple and elegant in silver, white and a hint of gold on top perfect for any wedding setting.
136. Simple and understated this four tiered wedding cake has only piping for the decoration.
137. A combination of square and round cakes can be used to create a traditional style wedding cake.
138. Simple small three tiered wedding cake with roses.
139. Four tiered white wedding cake with monogram on the side of the top cake.
140. A combination of stacked cakes and a tier seperated by cake pillars.
15. Unusual Cake Designs
141. Unusual cake designs can be created around and interest or hobby.
143. Blue wedding cake with an orange "crochet" design.
144. Unusual cakes can be inspired by culture, like this Asian inspired cake.
145. This unusual wedding cake is covered completely edible leaves.
146. This bee hive cake comes complete with icing resembling honeycomb.
147. Square wedding cakes made to look like flower vases filled with roses..
148. Unusual cakes can be inspired by your favourite books like this Dr Seuss cake.
149. Topsy turvy cake with a tropical theme.
A quirky sand castle wedding cake complete with edible sand and shells.
16. Vintage Cakes
151. Use an antique gold stand to display your vingate wedding cake.
152. Roses are always timeless and picture perfect for a vintage theme.
153. Vintage wedding cake in the style of an old world bird cage.
154. Decorate your cake with old fashioned lace. The lace could be real or made from fondant icing.
155. Use a vintage style cake stand and brooches to decorate your cake.
156. Hearts and roses are always timeless.
157. Simple two tiered white weddign cake with flowers.
158. Fondant lace covered white wedding cake.
159. Snowflakes, bows and roses.
160. Elegant and simple.
17. Purple Cakes
161. Sea shells and orchids.
162. White wedding cake with purple trim, purple and white calla lilies.
See more purple wedding related ideas here.
18. Cakes With Flowers
19. White Wedding Cakes
20. Winter Cake Ideas
If you are planning a winter wedding theme you might like to read our article on snowflake theme ideas.
Images obtained from Flickr have been used by permission under the creative commons licences by -sa/2.0/ and /2.0/ and –nd/2.0/